Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Colour Wheel with a Twist

I decided to take a different approach to reviewing the colour wheel with my grade 5 students today.  I used them. 
 
Fingers were crossed that they would show up wearing a variety of colours and except for being a little off on the violet, it turned out well.
 
I began by asking them to stand if they were wearing a primary colour.  We talked about what made a colour primary.

P9170955-1.jpg P9170955

Next those wearing a secondary colour stood, they were asked which colours were used to make it.

P9170956
 
 
Students then arranged themselves in warm and cool combinations.
 
We talked about tonal values and lined up legs to show different shades and tints.  They knew how to use black or white to change the colour.
 
P9170957
 
Students wearing green also wanted their picture taken.  We discussed how adding more blue or yellow could change the colour.
 
P9170958
 
At first students did not quite understand the concept of complementary colours being opposites.
 
I briefly did an afterimage exercise with them. 
 
First I had them open their agendas to a white page, then I had them place their pencil crayon boxes on it.  I asked them to focus without staring hard on the yellow on the box.  I timed them for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, then had them pull away the box while still looking at the page. 
 
 Ooos and ahhs were heard around the room as they briefly saw violet on the page.  One student was so excited, he called another one over to "see" the colour he saw.  I related the effect of the afterimage to film negatives.  You know you are getting old when not all knew what they were! 
 
Afterwards, they were able to name all the complementary combinations.
 
Finally students created a "human" colour wheel.  One of them pointed out how they were lined up with their opposite.  Success!
 
P9170960
 
To end the project, I handed out a colour assignment sheet.  They very quickly completed and correctly labelled it with little help from me.
 
I will definitely do this again in the future.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment