Saturday, 25 August 2012

Birdhouse Inspiration

While driving in Prince Edward Island,my cousin, aunt and I came across a display of birdhouses at the foot of a driveway.  Curious, we backed up and drove in.

P8080255 

What we found was a small shed called The Bird House. 

P8080257

We also met the creator of all the houses, a retired gentleman, who liked to work with his hands and who told us that his wife did all the painting.

P8080256

I purchased the one shown below, and, yes, it was a challenge to bring it back in my suitcase, but, it was worth it.

P8160851
    
 So, what has this inspired?  Right now I have several posibilities going on in my head.  It could be the basis for "crooked" paper mache houses, paintings of birdhouses on poles, positive/negative images,   cutting paper into geometric shapes to create houses, repeated images or even make the types of fantasy birds or other creatures that would live in houses like these.  We'll have to wait and see what develops.          

4 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    Did you know I am from PEI? I grew up in Charlottetown and go back every summer with my family. So cool that you were there! Love the blog too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PEI was amazing, I would love to go back again and take some of the art classes/workshops offered on the island. It will definitely influence some of my projects this year. Thanks for the comment, too, that means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  2. Do you know where on PEI this was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are near Hunter River, PEI and are made by C & D Stairs. The place is along the highway and he has a few on display on the road. Drive up his driveway to see more. He's a very friendly gentleman.

    ReplyDelete